In this Our Changing Climate environmental video essay, we look at how climate change is causing a decrease in biodiversity worldwide. Biodiversity is a measure of the variety and variability of life, and climate change is causing the decline of biodiversity in numerous ecosystems via extreme weather, sea-level rise, and habitat destruction. Biodiversity matters because without such a variety of life and species, ecosystems begin to collapse ultimately affecting the livelihoods of communities reliant on healthy, biodiverse ecosystems. Biodiversity loss caused by climate change ultimately means species extinctions and a disconnect between animals and plants.
The script for this video was written by NCSE Graduate Student Outreach Fellows Cat Henry and DJ Kast.
Learn more about the National Center for Science Education: https://ncse.ngo
Help me make more videos like this via Patreon: http://bit.ly/2iz4lIV
Email List: https://www.subscribepage.com/ourchangingclimate
I use Epidemic Sound for some of my music: http://epidemicsound.com/creator
For the rest of my music, I use Artlist.io. You can get 2 months free of Artlist.io with this link: https://artlist.io/Charlie-278823
1. Pyke, G.H., J.D. Thompson, D.W. Inouye, and T.J. Miller. 2016. Effects of climate change on phenologies and distributions of bumble bees and the plants they visit. Ecosphere 7(3):e01267.
2. Inouye, D. W. Effects of climate change on alpine plants and their pollinators. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1–12 (2019). doi:10.1111/nyas.14104
3. Bellard, C., Bertelsmeier, C., Leadley, P., Thuiller, W. & Courchamp, F. Impacts of climate change on the future of biodiversity. Ecol. Lett. 15, 365–377 (2012).
4. Potts, S. G. et al. Global pollinator declines: Trends, impacts and drivers. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25, 345–353 (2010).
5. Willis, K. J., & Bhagwat, S. A. (2009). Biodiversity and climate change. Science, 326(5954), 806-807.
6. Williams, R. J., Bradstock, R. A., Cary, G. J., Enright, N. J., Gill, A. M., Leidloff, A. C., … & Clarke, P. J. (2009). Interactions between climate change, fire regimes and biodiversity in Australia: a preliminary assessment.
7. Lavergne, S., Mouquet, N., Thuiller, W., & Ronce, O. (2010). Biodiversity and climate change: integrating evolutionary and ecological responses of species and communities. Annual review of ecology, evolution, and systematics, 41, 321-350.
8. The Disproportionate Impact of Climate Change on Indigenous Communities (KCET): https://www.kcet.org/shows/tending-nature/the-disproportionate-impact-of-climate-change-on-indigenous-communities
9. Ingty, T., & Bawa, K. S. (2012). Climate change and indigenous people. Climate change in Sikkim: patterns, impacts and initiatives. Information and Public Relations Department, Government of Sikkim, Gangtok, India.[online] URL: http://www. sikkimforest. gov. in/climate-change-in-sikkim/climate% 20change% 20in% 20sikkim, 275-290.
10. How Native Tribes Are Taking the Lead on Planning For Climate Change (Yale Environment 360): https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-native-tribes-are-taking-the-lead-on-planning-for-climate-change
11. Bellard, C., Bertelsmeier, C., Leadley, P., Thuiller, W. & Courchamp, F. Impacts of climate change on the future of biodiversity. Ecol. Lett. 15, 365–377 (2012).
12. Bartomeus, I. et al. Biodiversity ensures plant-pollinator phenological synchrony against climate change. Ecol. Lett. 16, 1331–1338 (2013).
13. Senapathi, D., Goddard, M. A., Kunin, W. E. & Baldock, K. C. R. Landscape impacts on pollinator communities in temperate systems: evidence and knowledge gaps. Funct. Ecol. 31, 26–37 (2017).